RDMS dominates several decades. But new needs highly challenge the “old man”.
- big or huge data production in some application, like web or biology. The data scale is petabyte instead of gigabyte per day.
- high throughput (real time response) and computation intensive application
- cloudy or distributed storage
- Google BigTable (Paper)
- Amazon SimpleDB: Amazon SimpleDB is a highly available, scalable, and flexible non-relational data store that offloads the work of database administration. Developers simply store and query data items via web services requests, and Amazon SimpleDB does the rest.
- Apache Cassandra (former Facebook): The Apache Cassandra Project develops a highly scalable second-generation distributed database, bringing together Dynamo’s fully distributed design and Bigtable’s ColumnFamily-based data model.